ECPAT International is the Secretariat office of a global network of organisations working together for the elimination of the sexual exploitation of children (SEC) in all its manifestations i.e. exploitation of children in prostitution, online child sexual exploitation, sale and trafficking of children for sexual purposes, sexual exploitation of children in travel and tourism and some forms of such as early and forced marriage. The ECPAT Network currently consists of 124 members working at national and local levels in 104 countries. Our strength lies in the diversity of our membership, collectively and individually working to address the issue. From large national coalitions to small grass-roots initiatives, we are committed to bringing together a broad range of expertise and perspectives to unravel the web that perpetuates this abuse. The ECPAT International Secretariat coordinates the global work of the organisation and is based in Bangkok, Thailand. The Secretariat designs and implements global and regional level programmes, and undertakes programming, advocacy and research and facilitates a range of network initiatives.
THE ECPAT INTERNATIONAL GLOBAL BOYS INITIATIVE
As the programmatic responses to identify and meeting the particular rights of boys are scarce, ECPAT International launched the Global Boys Initiative to explore how we collectively address the sexual exploitation of boys, which activates our global network of member organisations in a range of research and response activities. To meet the initial challenge of limited information regarding the adaptation of services to boys, the Global Boys Initiative embarked on a series of research projects in 10 countries around the world, to shed light on the scale and scope of the issue, how boys come into these vulnerable situations, and what their protection rights are. The findings of the Global Literature Review and the country reports are aligned, showing us that the vulnerability and risk factors, the barriers to access and the ideas of masculinity behind the sexual exploitation and abuse of boys are a global issue that require global solutions.ECPAT International engaged in a series of meetings and conversations with the members of its network, other civil society organisations, academia and partners to further understand the existing gaps in the provision of services to boys at risk and survivors of sexual exploitation and abuse. In this framework, some of these organisations and partners have been engaged by ECPAT International in a learning exercise to document practice to understand what works and what does not work in engaging and working directly with boys or on issues affecting them.
The Global Boys Summit represents an opportunity to put all the learning gathered by the GBI into action, by provide a platform for practitioners and organisations working with boys at risk and boy survivors of sexual exploitation and abuse to exchange, learn and collaborate on programmatic tools to work with boys.
Due to the practical nature of the objectives of the GBS, the 3-day in person event will include elements of presentations, introductions and workshop components. This latter will actually constitute the main component of the event.
The Global Boys Summit will take place during the first week of June 2023, with the potential dates of: Tuesday, 6th of June 2023 – Thursday, 8th of June 2023. The event will take place in Casablanca, Morocco.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
To support the implementation of the Global Boys Initiative and Global Boys Summit communications and branding plan in preparation, during and following the event.
SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The aim of this work is to support ECPAT International Global Boys Initiative in reinforcing the brand identity of the initiative and elaborate a series of communication outputs strengthening the Initiative’s and the event’s advocacy outputs.
The work includes the elaboration and development of communication products during the preparation, implementation and follow-up phases of the Global Boys Summit.
Preparation (March to June 2023)
- Working with the ECPAT International communications department to develop a brand identity for the Global Boys Initiative and the Global Boys Summit (remote);
During the event (6-8 of June 2023)
- Cover and document the event (in Casablanca, Morocco). This should be the collection of videos, quotes, and pictures of event participants.
- Conduct interviews with key participants during the event and record them (Casablanca, Morocco);
Following the event (June-July 2023)
- Create one long-form recap video covering the event.
- Create and produce short social media friendly videos.
Working with the ECPAT Communications department, the deliverables will include:
- A detailed work plan developed in collaboration with ECPAT team
- A series of branding products (PowerPoint, Banners, visibility materials) prior the event. ECPAT International will manage the printing and production of materials
- Professional photos of the event – includes participants, workshop sessions, presentations, and speeches
- 1 event summary video between (5 minutes) minutes with 4 short social media friendly videos of the event to be used for social media activities)
- At least 5 videos of key interviews with participants during the event (with English subtitles)
- User friendly summary report of the event
The selected consultant will propose a methodology, structure and timeline for the deliverables, in close consultation with the ECPAT Communications team and Global Boys Initiative team.
The assignment should be conducted between March and June 2023. A detailed plan and timeline will be defined and agreed with the Consultant at the start of the assignment.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s or higher) in communication, international relations, sustainable development or environmental management issues;
- A minimum of 3 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in communication and outreach;
- Excellent proven written and oral communication skills; drafting, formulation, reporting and video creation experience;
- Experience with video editing and multimedia content creation is essential;
- Experience with working for an international development organization is desirable
- For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French / Spanish is desirable.
- This is a home-based position using own equipment and communication tools; the consultant should be available for online calls including with different time zones;
- The consultant needs to be available to participate in the Global Boys Summit in Casablanca, Morocco (6-8 June 2023) and is in charge of managing local services as needed;
- All discussions and documents relating to this Terms of Reference will be treated as confidential by the involved parties.
The Consultant is expected to act at all times in a manner consistent with the values of ECPAT International and in compliance with the organisation’s policies and procedures including Child Safeguarding Policy and the Code of Conduct.
How to apply
Please send to [email protected]
- CV and short cover email
- A brief proposition of your approach
- A portfolio showcasing previous work and experience covering events and multimedia outputs
- Indication of expected daily fee
- Mention in the subject header: Your name and “Communications consultant GBI”
Deadline: 23rd of February 2023;
ECPAT International is committed to keeping children safe. The selection process reflects our commitment to the safeguarding of children.
Closing date: 23 Feb 2023