We are currently looking for aData Officer to support the Amman-based REACH team:
Contract duration:6 months
Starting Date: ASAP
After more than a decade of conflict, conditions in Syria remain volatile and marked by violence, climatic shocks and socioeconomic deterioration. The scale, complexity, and severity of humanitarian needs in Syria extend the necessity for up-to-date, timely, and accurate information. Evidence-based planning and programming remains paramount to ensure that the response adequately meets the needs of the most vulnerable people and is tailored to different realities across communities and over time. REACH has been conducting assessments on the humanitarian situation in Syria since 2013 and has since grown significantly as an actor in the response.
REACH Syria is currently seeking a Data Officer (DO) to lead the production of analysis products, including the preparation of research design, support in designing sampling methods, data analysis plans, data collection tools, data cleaning scripts and processes, analysis scripts, analysis outputs and (as relevant) production of web maps and information management systems. Under the line management of the Data Specialist, the Data Officer, in close liaison with the assessment teams, engages with partners to promote their participation in data processing, analysis or relevant topics, to maximize the uptake and use of IMPACT/REACH research. When relevant, or managing a project, he/she also ensures an efficient and transparent use of resources required for project implementation. This can include the direct supervision of data and assessment teams during data collection, analysis or output production.
The DO will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes, ensuring full compliance with IMPACT’s data protection policy and SOPs. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during his/her assignment with IMPACT.
In his/her mission, the DO will be hosted by IMPACT’s global partner ACTED and will fall under the direct responsibility and management of ACTED’s Country Director and his/her delegates for all Administrative, Security, and relevant Logistics and Finance issues. S/he will therefore fully abide by ACTED’s Security, Administration, and relevant HR, Logistics and Finance rules and regulations.
The Data Officer is responsible for the following:
- Research planning and design through leading on sampling design and in coordination with relevantassessment and GIS staff construct quantitative sample, training on data cleaning and management techniques, and overseeing data analysis set-up (specifically conducted in the R environment);
- Data management, cleaning and analysis including monitoring of the accuracy of data collected, cross-checking data collected in the field, maintaining R-based systems of data management and analysis, serving as the focal point for statistical analysis and quantitative reporting, developing cleaning and analysis (descriptive, hypothesis testing, correlation, and regression analyses) scripts in R, and contributing to the automatization of data analysis processes;
- Developing information products and dashboards with the collected data;
- Providing information management support to other team members within REACH Syria, or humanitarian stakeholders;
- Other tasks falling within his/her functions as requested by supervisors.
- Academic Excellent academic qualifications, preferably including a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (Computer or Data Science, Statistics, Social Science, Economics, or related);
- Research skills Proficiency and proven experience with research methods, including both quantitative and qualitative research. Excellent analytical skills;
- Software skills Advanced knowledge of R, STATA, Python or equivalent statistical software (with a willingness to learn R). Knowledge of ArcGIS or Power Bi an advantage;
- Statistical skills Strong statistical and analytical skills including correlation and regression analysis
- Years of work experience At least 2 years of relevant working experience;
- Level of independence Proven ability to work independently;
- Communication/reporting skills Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting;
- Organizational and coordination skills Strong presentation, and organisational skills;
- Multi-tasking skills Ability to multitask with tight deadlines;
- Cross-cultural work environment Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Experience in geographical region Past experience working in Syria or the Middle East is desirable;
- Language skills Fluency in English required, fluency in Arabic and/or Kurdish an asset.
How to apply
Please apply using the following link: Data Officer | Impact (impact-initiatives.org)
Deadline: 31 Mar 2023