Region: Southern Africa
Office: Harare, Zimbabwe
Hours: 80% Level of Effort (30 Hours Per Week)
Application deadline: January 28, 2024
Hivos is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Design, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (DMEL) officer.
The DMEL Officer is responsible for the monitoring, evaluation and learning dimension of one or more projects and programs and operates in accordance with Hivos policy and donor requirements. The DMEL officer works closely with the Program Managers to identify and formulate phases of the project to ensure proper planning, results and indicator formulation using the SMART concept. The DMEL officer translates the project’s Theory of Change (ToC) into tangible indicators for monitoring and evaluation; analyses, validate and aggregates output, outcomes and learning in all phases of the primary processes.
The DMEL Officer proves the potential sustainability of a social innovation solution and makes accountability feasible. The DMEL Officer provides the practical evidence to be used by the Knowledge Manager and the Innovation Officer and works in close partnership with all positions mentioned above, to provide back-up and support to successfully implement activities and put forward proof to convince donors of Hivos’s ToC and operational capacities.
- Reports to: Regional Director
- Term: This appointment is for an initial term of one year, renewable based on results and performance.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
Planning and design:
- Design the monitoring and evaluation tools and forms for the project.
- Participate in the project planning process including Project, Resource, Financial, Quality, Risk and Reporting plans.
- Contributes to the design and implementation of SMART project plans, provides materials for assessing output and proactively consults the project manager and other team members.
- Integrates DMEL methodology in programs and projects implemented by Hivos and/or third parties; facilitates baseline studies, aggregates activity, and financial plans and reports; assesses the effectiveness of the provisional or final performance.
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation of data collection activities.
- Monitor the Monitoring and Evaluation frameworks for projects and provide key information to management for planning/decision making.
- Facilitate utilization of data for decision-making and documentation of best practices/lessons learnt.
- Works with colleagues to keep track of DMEL requirements of donors; develops innovative participatory assessment and validation methods & techniques and enables validation capabilities and practices within Hivos.
Evaluation and reporting
- Participate in the development of the evaluation design, tools, protocols and procedures for the project.
- Generate reports in compliance with the organizations and donor procedures and agreements in the award.
- In accordance with donor requirements, create or maintain procedures for capturing and publishing monthly, quarterly and annual project technical reports.
- Review and provide feedback to reports by affiliates.
- Identify opportunities for operations research during implementation.
Team learning and reflection
- Assisting in the leadup to the Annual Reflection and Analysis workshops.
- Working with the relevant teams to organize grantee reflection process and internal program reflection processes.
- Take part in resource mobilization through participation in proposal development with other program staff.
- Design, implement and evaluate projects with an aspect of resource mobilization.
Key selection criteria
- Master’s degree in social science, development studies, international development, project management, informatics, demography, or other related fields. Preferably with specialization in research, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Under Graduate degree in development studies, project management demography or other related social sciences.
- Minimum of five (5) years progressive experience in the implementation of international development programs, including substantial experience in monitoring and evaluation, data collection analysis and management, quantitative and qualitative research
Experience and skills:
- Proven experience implementing high-volume sub-granting programs
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, including the development and use of theories of change, logical frameworks, performance indicators, monitoring and reporting against progress, and facilitating reflection, learning and adaptation with project stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience with similarly complex projects involving coordination with multiple programs and partner institutions, including delivering at pace and managing demands from multiple stakeholders.
- Experience with bilateral and multilateral donor reporting requirements e,g Sida, DFID, EU, USAID, GFTAM.
- Experience in working with policymakers, researchers, consultants and knowledge brokers in International development:
- Proven experience in managing or implementing M&E systems
- Experience in using data analyses tools (SPSS, Stata or similar tools)
- Experience in technical report writing and research activities
What we offer
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment.
The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position will be based in Harare, Zimbabwe. Hivos welcomes International & Regional applicants but can only offer a position to only those with a valid work permit for Zimbabwe. Hivos can only offer employment on local terms and conditions.
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, we aim to contribute towards just, inclusive and life sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. We work in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: Civic Rights in a Digital Age; Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, and Climate Justice.
How to apply
How to apply
Please apply before 28 January 2024. If you meet the above-mentioned qualifications (please look carefully), you can apply to this vacancy by filling in a digital application form and adding a cover letter explaining your motivation and your CV.
Deadline: 28 Jan 2024