Building Opportunities for Resilience in the Horn of Africa(BORESHA) project supports on-going regional efforts to build sustainable livelihoods, improve natural resources management and strengthen resilience. The activities of the action focus on four of the seven key priority intervention areas i.e. environment and natural resource management; market access, trade and financial services; livelihoods support and basic social services and disaster risk management, preparedness and effective response as highlighted in Inter-Government Authority on Development (IGAD) 15-year regional strategy (2012-2027) for reducing vulnerability and strengthening drought resilience in arid and semi-arid lands.
The project will be implemented in 3 countries, with focus on the Mandera triangle. In Somalia, the interventions shall be in Gedo; while in Ethiopia, the project will target six communities in Dolo Ado Woreda, Liben Zone, and Dolobay Woreda, Afder Zone. In Mandera County (Kenya), the target communities will be from Mandera North & East, and Banisa subcounty. In all the 3 regions, communities to be supported will be the ones affected by the displacement of groups across the border, or by tensions/conflict in the Mandera Triangle.
Reporting to the Project Manager the officer will be responsible for field-level monitoring and evaluation of CARE International’s Natural Resource Management (NRM) activities in BORESHA in Mandera (Kenya), Dolo Ado (Ethiopia) and Gedo Region (Somalia). He/she will work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor based the Regional Project Management Unit (PMU).
The monitoring and evaluation (M&E) officer will be responsible for supporting the project to undertake monitoring and evaluation activities including strengthening management information systems. This will include supporting data management systems for all technical areas covered by the project; beneficiary targeting, selection of beneficiaries, data collection, baselines and other evaluations/assessments and project components. The M&E Officer will support the project team in developing a Monitoring and Evaluation framework for the project and facilitate the collation of routine monthly, quarterly summary data for indicator reporting and providing feedback to the project team and foster data use for decision making. In addition, the M&E officer will be providing data management support to the project on a day-to-day basis, to help strengthen data checks and ensure that data is of high quality, supporting project officers to carry out onsite data verifications and mainly drives the learning agenda (generating evidence, documentation of innovations and their outcomes at all levels) of the project.
ROLES AND RESPOSIBILITIES
Leadership and Coordination for CARE in the Development and operationalization of an M&E system and Innovations Knowledge management and Learning system and Capacity Building
- Lead the monitoring of CARE’s M&E plan and implementation strategy for the Project, ensuring that all interventions and innovations are well captured and indicators of monitoring progress and measuring outcomes are technically sound and captured.
- Support the Project Manager in the development and management of a coordinated partnership with Project Management Unit as well as local government M&E (agreements, performance benchmarks, supportive systems, operational engagement)
- Provide leadership support to project staff in the 3 Countries (Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia) on all aspects of M&E for the project
- Working closely with the field Project team, review and support development of M&E plans for the project that is in line with the overall program M&E plan.
- Support compliance to the project M&E Plan at Country office level and monitoring compliance of partners and CAREs M&E plans.
- Support the Project Manager in developing selection criteria for identification of project beneficiaries.
- Maintain project data base and ensure the same is updated monthly and reports generated, as often as per indicators for reporting progress at individual level and contextual level.
- Support monitoring of M&E activities as indicated in their work plan while ensuring that the activities are in line with what is stipulated in their M&E plans and subsequently monitoring their M&E budgets.
- Working closely with Project team, support the documentation of lessons learnt, case studies, technical briefs and writing of articles for the BORESHA SHEKO newsletter
Providing adequate data management support to the project while ensuring that data is of highest quality and there is evidence of adequate support documentation
- Responsible for updating the project database in CARE, with verified performance results, ensuring partners project performance is up to date and supporting partners to track the same at their level for effective measurement of overall project performance.
- Ensure individual tracking data base is up to date, and that M&E partners supportive activities are timely undertaken to enhance the learning agenda
- Support partner to develop database/data capturing tools at their level for them to keep track of their performance and ensure efficient decision making.
- Closely working with the project team, perform data quality checks/verification to all data received from partners with an aim of ensuring that project data received is reliable and accurate.
- Ensuring partners are complying with the projects reporting guidelines and tools and supporting them to utilize the same appropriately.
- Working closely with the Senior Project Officers in Mandera (Kenya), Dolo Ado (Ethiopia) and Gedo Region (Somalia) and supported by the BORESHA Regional M&E Coordinator, timely monitoring support at field level and routinely support the Project Management Unit to carry out data audits/trails.
- Ensure that all project data support documents are appropriately stored for easy of retrieval during verification and other need basis.
Strengthened Collaboration and Networking
- Represent the project in core monitoring and evaluation committees, county engagements and related project activities as necessary.
- Represent project in decentralized M&E forums, selected M&E capacity building and strengthening forums with a view to keeping the project and partners informed on current initiatives and developments in M&E and provide staffs updates from these forums.
- Perform any other duty as assigned by the supervisor, related to collaboration and networking.
Strengthen CAREs project implementation performance
- Support enhanced management cohesion of cross sectoral and innovation areas of the project at sectoral and Country Office projects and staff, in M&E.
- Strengthen CARE’s Monitoring and Evaluation roles including M&E systems development, reporting, capacity strengthening on quality M&E
- Support CARE’s achievement of strategic interventions as outlined in the strategic plan, project principles and other frameworks
- Undertake any other relevant duties as assigned by supervisor or management that enhance CARE’s mission
- A bachelor’s degree in Social Science, IT, Statistics, Economics, Natural Resource Management, Environment, Agriculture, M&E or related field – a master’s degree will be an added advantage
- Training in M&E is required.
- Training in Gender will be an added advantage
Experience and Competencies Required
- Five years of work experience in monitoring and evaluation of either, or, emergency interventions, cash-based interventions, health, food security and nutrition, education and economic empowerment projects
- Experience in monitoring rangelands management interventions or closely related activities will be an advantage
- Familiarity with performance-based funding systems and procedures.
- Ability to develop and implement monitoring and evaluation plans
- Excellent data analysis and report writing skills
- Computer literacy, particularly in the use of MS Access, MS Excel and statistical packages (SPSS, STATA, EPI INFO etc)
- Knowledge of Somali language and prior working experience with cross border programs will be added advantage
- Data and information presentation skills
- Strong mentorship and partnership skills
- Analytical capacity
- Excellent inter-personal, facilitation skills and communication skills
- Person of high moral character and professional integrity
- Must expressly be supportive to girls and women’s empowerment
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the criteria are encouraged to view the comprehensive job description and send in their applications through https://www.care-kenya.org/get-involved.
Closing date: 5-Aug-22