Translators without Borders
Length: Up to fifteen days
Date: Completed by March, 2023
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Application deadline: Rolling
About the O-Canada research project
CLEAR Global/Translators Without Borders is seeking UX Research Assistants for a project conducting user experience research and interviews with refugees. Research Assistants will contribute to research we are conducting in support of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) as it seeks to understand how refugees use its mobile application O-Canada and how it might improve the user experience of the product.
Candidates must be located in Ethiopia and be fluent in Tigrinya and English.
We are seeking two researchers per country. Research assistants working in pairs are encouraged to apply. Please indicate in your application if you are applying with another applicant.
Working in teams of one or two, Research Assistants will conduct research with 12-16 refugees in Ethiopia and online, supported by CLEAR Global and IOM to identify participants. They will work with research tools (interview guide, UX testing activities) developed by CLEAR Global . They will:
- Attend a training session with CLEAR Global on research tools
- Coordinate with CLEAR Global program officer and work closely with IOM Country offices around logistics of the testing such as scheduling sessions, sourcing participants etc.
- Conduct 12-16- two-hour sessions (max), in-person or online, that include an interview and a series of UX testing activities.
- Follow-up with participants to share results, as requested.
- Respond to questions from and be available for calls or to exchange emails with the CLEAR Global team throughout the process.
- Attend a debriefing session after data collection is finalized.
- Attend and contribute to a design workshop at the end of the data collections phase.
- Recordings, screen shots (when applicable) and transcriptions, notes and data from each interview and UX testing results (ensuring that transcriptions and notes are translated to English before submission)
- All other documents and data related to this research project, including consent forms and observational notes
- Two-page summary of findings and recommendations
Research Assistants must have a background in one or both of the following:
- Usability testing and user research
- Qualitative social science research
Researchers should have experience working with migrants and/or refugees, or with other vulnerable populations. Those who do not have a background in user experience testing should be able to demonstrate that they are familiar and comfortable with technology and can competently discuss a mobile application with users. Other relevant experience (documented): mobile app development, product management, UX design, user centered design or design thinking.
Researchers must supply their own recording device (mobile phone is acceptable). They will be responsible for adhering to CLEAR’s COVID-19 mitigation strategy and for following local guidelines and restrictions related to COVID-19.
Please upload your CV and answer the mandatory screening questions. Cover letter is optional. Please include your daily rate in the ‘desired pay’ field.
About CLEAR Global
CLEAR Global exists to help people get vital information, and be heard, whatever language they speak. We believe that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Our network of over 60,000 linguists translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
CLEAR Global employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. CLEAR Global’s mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, CLEAR Global is a leader in the translation industry and in the nonprofit sector.
- Integrity: CLEAR Global believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: CLEAR Global believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: CLEAR Global recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: CLEAR Global recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and conduct themselves professionally at all times.
How to apply
To apply, please click here
Closing date: 15 Feb 2023