- CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
- CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
- Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
- Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
Overview of Position
- In late 2019, parts of Somalia experienced some of the worst flooding in the country’s recent history resulting in several deaths and significant damage to infrastructure, crops, property, and livestock. Further to this flood event, a joint assessment was undertaken by the World Bank and the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) to assess the losses and damage caused by the floods and to develop a strategy for immediate recovery and longer-term resilience building.As a result, the Somalia Crisis Recovery Project (SCRP) was formulated and financed by the World Bank to the Federal Ministry of Finance (MOF). The project is aimed at supporting the recovery of livelihoods and infrastructure in flood and drought-affected areas and strengthening the capacity for disaster preparedness nationwide.
- The SCRP is implemented by the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) established within the Federal Ministry of Finance. The project activities involve rehabilitation and re-construction of various flood damaged infrastructure including river embankments, irrigation canals, roads and health facilities etc. Our client is engaged in providing contract management and construction supervision support to the PIU in the implementation of road rehabilitation works and reconstruction of health facilities in flood affected districts of Hirshabelle, Jubaland and South West States.
- Project Manager will be responsible for leading contract management and construction supervision support to the PIU in the implementation of health facilities reconstruction activities ensuring that the works are implemented as per the design drawings and specifications and in compliance with the approved environmental and social safeguard standards. The specific roles and responsibilities are;
- Review the the contract package made available by the PIU including a copy of the signed contract including the technical part and the Contractor submitted bid document for the completeness of the documents and advise PIU for any actions that may be required as a result of the review;
- Review the contractor submitted program of work for its compatibility with the bid and the feasibility with the resources allocated and advise the PIU for appropriate actions;
- Develop a pre-construction documents and activities checklist and advise the PIU for its obligations and the Contractor’s obligations to ensure that all pre-construction contractual requirements are cleared in a timely manner that will not hold works commencement schedule and implementation progress;
- Develop the contract management framework consisting of the Contract Management Plan (CMP), responsibility matrix, progress monitoring charts, communication channels, quality control framework, cash flow projections and client resources mobilisation plan, and share with the PIU and client Project Manager for appropriate actions;
- Provide technical advice and guidance to the PIU with the supervision of the construction works ensuring that the appropriate level of Contractor resources availability at sites, progress of works as per the approved program of works and quality of the works as per the specifications;
- Advise on actions to ensure compliance to the approved environmental social management plan including conformance to the health & safety standards;
- Advise the PIU in contract administration tasks such as issuing of contractual instructions to the Contractor, measurement of works, regarding Contractor’s requests for payments ,variation claims, time extension requests etc and provide technical assistance in the preparation of site instructions and contracts amendments;
- Advise on technical matters arising during implementation such as on design modifications due to site requirements, contractor submitted design modifications, service connections etc.
- In consultation with the client project manager, deploy our client resources to the work sites to support construction supervision tasks and coordinate logistic support;
- Participate in field monitoring missions and various meetings related to the work implementation between the PIU, Contractor(s) and the project stakeholders and provide technical advice on matters raised for advice;
- Advise and support PIU on the contracts related documents management, and prepare work progress reports for the client submission and internal reporting;
- Advise and support PIU in the implementation close-out tasks such as issuing substantial and final completion certificates to the Contractor, PIU’s acceptance of the ‘as constructed’ documents, infrastructure hand-over process and the contract close-out report etc.;
- Ensure skills transfer and on-the-job training opportunities for the counterpart staff and for the Contractors;
- Undertake other tasks related to the contract management and construction supervision support to the PIU, as requested by the client’s Project Manager.
- Reporting to the Client Project manager
- The Resident Engineer is responsible for the management of the construction supervision teams at work sites.
- Further information
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with a recognized institution is desirable.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- Ability and willingness to travel to work sites at various Districts of Somalia is essential.
How to apply
Deadline: 19 Mar 2023