Chemonics International seeks a Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID Enhancing Development through Energy in Southern Africa (EDESA). The purpose of the program, part of the Power Africa initiative to increase the availability of and access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and clean energy in Southern Africa to reach measurable economic growth, development outcomes, such as reducing poverty, improving livelihoods and increasing inclusive access to electricity enabled services in such areas as health, education, sanitation and food security. This position could be based in Pretoria, South Africa or elsewhere in the region, based on regional priorities.
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The potential objectives of the activity are to:
1. End energy poverty by increasing access to affordable, reliable energy which can support increased economic activity and improved living standards.
2. Increase the supply of electricity in Southern African countries through clean energy solutions.
3. Remove constraints to investment in Southern African energy sectors and to increase innovation.
The Senior Technical Advisor(s) (STA) will provide technical leadership and guidance across a wide range of program objectives. The STA shall review and develop technical deliverables, ensuring high quality and technical excellence. The STA will report to the COP and provide technical advisory support to all elements of program implementation. They will perform both an internally facing and externally-facing role. They will guide the EDESA technical team in identifying and prioritizing country-specific activities and will regularly liaise with the Power Africa coordinator’s office and other USAID missions and office.
- Provide technical leadership in delivery of expected results
- Manage, supervise, and coordinate technical services, prioritize the activities in country, and provide thought leadership and technical support as needed to accelerate a supported activity
- Regularly liaise with the Power Africa Coordinator’s Office, USAID missions, and other USG agencies, as appropriate
- Maintain strong relationships with relevant regional organizations, such as the African Development Bank, and with private sector companies and host country governments
- Perform ad-hoc requests
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 10 years’ experience implementing energy programs. Sub-Saharan Africa work experience is preferred
- Deep expertise in at least one program objective area; experience with both on- and beyond the grid energy programming strongly preferred
- Excellent analytical abilities, written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to promptly address ad hoc requests
- Prior experience supporting USAID/Power Africa programs in an advisory capacity strongly preferred
- Regional experience in Southern Africa (Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia)
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
How to apply
Please apply by using this link. Applications must be submitted by November 30, 2022. Early applications encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/
*Closing date: 30-Nov-22