Translators without Borders
Contract length: Until December 31, 2023 with possibility of extension
Location: Preferred within UTC +/-3
Reporting to: Platforms Director
Remuneration: 4,500-4,900 USD/month
Deadline for applications: 27 March, 2023
CLEAR Global is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team,
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays (prorated for part time assignments),
- the flexibility of home-based/remote work
CLEAR Global has also built a huge global community with over 100,000 members in 149 countries. To support our community, called Translators without Borders (TWB), we have built a sophisticated platform (the TWB Platform). The TWB Platform allows us to engage with our community on tasks which our partners (global and local humanitarian and development organizations) need to engage with marginalized communities throughout the world.
This platform handles over 35,000 tasks per year in a web-based application which integrates with various other platforms, such as Phrase for localization or DotSub for subtitling. We have big plans to extend this platform to encourage more interaction between community members and the creation of smaller communities within it. We also need to add more tools (for language data collection and labeling, for instance) to allow community members to contribute more.
The main focus of the role is to support the development of our internal working platforms, which exist mainly to coordinate our work delivering language services in collaboration with the 100,000-strong Translators without Borders community. We need to develop new approaches to validate new members and engage them in new tasks, with as much self-service as possible, while identifying accurate and useful metrics on all key aspects of our work with the community.
Working with our partners, linguists, researchers, community managers, designers, and developers this role will bring creativity, analytical and communication skills and organization to the team, helping ensure our technology offerings are functional, relevant and engaging.
- Engages with end-users to understand information gaps and priorities
- Identifies opportunities, developing creative reporting and analytics
- Identify and manage product feature sets
- Informs and promotes a strong user focus that aligns decision making with technology choices and prioritization
- Partners with stakeholders and development teams to create and communicate new release features.
- Communicates effectively with positive impact; expresses ideas clearly in documents and written communications
- Facilitates the discussion of conflicting issues between individuals and across groups
- Works with business day-to-day to identify and articulate initiative scope, benefits and ROI
- Manages the “big picture” of challenges impacting the customer experience, including the technical, functional, process, and accounting policy considerations, and creatively defines and designs solutions to those challenges
- Develops and maintains current understanding of tech trends
- Develops and communicates a point of view on complex technical topics. Aligns multiple domains, both technical and nontechnical, on this common vision
- Contributes to functional and technical design of solutions supporting customer roadmap
- Devises and executes plans for collecting and managing metrics for product and customer experience growth
- Owns the product and product roadmap end to end.
- Owns the creation of product showcases (demonstrators) to capture product vision (for both internal alignment and external communication).
- Liaises with the global product management team to ensure best practices are leveraged across the teams.
- Leads and manages product backlog and priorities with our business and technology partners.
- Assesses how new trends impact the roadmap or create opportunities for innovation of the product.
- Researches platform options and develops relationships with tech partners.
- Manages budget and timelines and commitments to stakeholders.
Please note that these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
The Product Manager should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with CLEAR Global’s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world. In previous roles, you have shown yourself to be:
- Passionate about being driven by evidence and impact
- Able to innovate to find creative solutions; willing to explore new technologies
- Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, interruptions, and unexpected events
- Resourceful, able to get more out of small budgets
- Good with people; able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Detail-oriented, thorough, accurate, able to meet deadlines, and able to work quickly and steadily in a focused manner
- At your best in a fast-paced environment and react well to pressure
- Bold; willing to try things out and measure how they work
- Willing to take initiative, persistent, able to problem solve, and enthusiastic about learning.
- Comfortable with multitasking, prioritizing, and working independently with minimal supervision
- Able to mediate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts constructively
- 5+ years of experience
- Degree in Computer Science
- Experience in product development
- Previous experience with International organizations
- Demonstrated understanding of modern product management approaches
- Strong writing and presentation skills in English
- Fluency and writing skills in one or more other languages preferred
- Familiarity with language and/or communications technology desirable
About CLEAR Global
CLEAR Global exists to help people get vital information, and be heard, whatever language they speak. We believe that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Our network of over 100,000 linguists translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
CLEAR Global employees and volunteers are people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. CLEAR Global’s mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, CLEAR Global is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: CLEAR Global believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: CLEAR Global believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: CLEAR Global recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: CLEAR Global recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
CLEAR Global may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.
How to apply
To apply, please click here
Deadline: 27 Mar 2023