ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Media Business Officer, in coordination with Internews’ Media Business Unit (MBU), will work with the project management team and staff to strengthen the financial sustainability of Liberian media outlets, especially partner community stations supported under the different projects implemented in Liberia. They will work closely with Internews program staff and GeoPoll on media business data collection, marketing, and advertisement personnel on media business development and viability.
This work focuses on delivering improved strategies; increased organizational capacities; better use of performance data; strengthened performance in generating audience scale, engagement, and loyalty; better use of social media; and increased revenues from advertising and subscriptions. The Media Business Officer will report to the Senior Media Advisor.
This role will be based in Monrovia, Liberia.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited-duration position with an anticipated term of 12 months; this position may possibly be extended.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Design media business activities (events, workshops, research, etc.) that are relevant to community radio partners supported under the various projects implemented by Intenrews in Liberia.
- Support partner community radio stations to develop and implement tailored and achievable plans for respective outlets.
- Carry out market research so that business strategy recommendations to media outlets are relevant to their market conditions.
- Ensure Internews works with media outlets that are committed to improving their business performance and have the resources and capabilities to absorb support.
- Work with mainstream media outlets on strategies and action plans enabling them to become more financially sustainable.
- Provide training on core business skills such as budgeting, financial management, goal setting and tracking results.
- Provide practical advice to strengthen partner media outlets’ revenue generation capabilities, in order to enable them to achieve improved financial performance.
- Lead training sessions for participants based on best practices.
- Provide ongoing mentoring to media outlets to increase their knowledge and technical skills and apply their training.
- Assess the quality of Internews’ support to media houses in business management, digital and social media, and provide recommendations.
- Assess partners’ digital and social media activity and provide recommendations for action. If needed, provide direct support.
- Track project metrics that serve to measure the success of project activities.
- Contribute to the writing and compiling of program reporting, including quarterly reports and other project-related reports.
- Draft, review, and provide input to project work plans, proposals, and quarterly reports.
- In all duties, uphold Internews’ Core Values and demonstrate commitment to fostering a culture of Belonging, Dignity, and Justice.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Degree in business administration, media management, or a related field. Postgraduate qualification with strong digital literacy is an advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible relevant experience in media development.
- Experience in supporting strategic business management and organizational capacity development.
- Strong understanding of media business and advertising landscape in Liberia or the West Africa sub-region, including working with and supporting local and/or community radio.
- Experience in adult learning and/or providing training.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, ability to prioritize workload and multi-task in a fast-paced environment with a strong track record of meeting deliverables.
- Experience with audience analytics, using tools such as Google Analytics, YouTube Analytics, and Facebook Business Suite.
- Experience with search engine optimization, social media management, and advertising sales.
- MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills are necessary to maintain good relations with colleagues and relevant stakeholders.
- Ability to travel within and spend extended time in the field, with limited facilities.
- Ability to communicate in English (verbally and in writing); excellent facilitation skills.
- Strategic thinking to facilitate interpretation of market information for decision making.
How to apply
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=2167
Deadline: 27 Jan 2024