ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Capacity Development Officer will be tasked to design and implement various institutional capacity development activities for local media support organizations supported by various projects in Liberia. They will collaborate with select CSOs and media partners to conduct Organizational Capacity Assessments (OCA) or use existing data from OCA to implement capacity-strengthening strategies in response to identified capacity gaps. This role will focus on delivering improved strategies; board management; increased organizational capacities; internal governance; grant compliance; financial management; and institutional sustainability.
The position will work under the supervision of the Senior Media Advisor and in close collaboration with the Media Business Officer and Senior Journalism Trainer.
This position will be based in Monrovia, Liberia.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited-duration role with an anticipated term of six months. This position may possibly be extended.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Collaborate with selected local media support organizations to conduct Organizational Capacity Assessments at partner organizations including media houses.
- Lead the development, implementation, and monitoring of an institutional capacity action plan at each media support organization using the outcome of the OCAs. This will include, but is not limited to: defining the organization’s mission, vision, and action statement; defining a strategy; board management; internal governance; HR policies and systems; grant compliance; financial management; and institutional sustainability.
- In collaboration with the Media Business Officer, support media support CSOs in developing tailored country sustainability strategies to define and guide their overall organizational growth, development, and business processes.
- Conduct board management training for each media support CSO and monitor the progress of implementation.
- Support media support CSOs in constituting a risk management committee to undertake organizational risk analysis and development of a strategic risk register.
- Support media CSOs in developing safeguarding policies and training of staff and volunteers on this.
- Support media CSOs in developing organization-wide performance indicators covering/touching on governance, leadership, programs, finance, HR, and Admin that will serve as the basis for Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and a platform for quarterly review and annual planning processes.
- Ensure monthly reviews of local partner performance, budget versus actual expenditures (BvAs) and other critical issues affecting management.
- Provide Internews management with recommendations for action and adaptation.
- Contribute to the writing and compiling of program reporting, including quarterly reports and other project-related reports.
- Draft, review, and provide input to project work plans, proposals, and quarterly reports.
- In all duties, uphold Internews’ Core Values and demonstrate commitment to fostering a culture of Belonging, Dignity, and Justice.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- University degree in Public Administration, Business Management, Public Policy, Media Management, Communications, or a related field.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in organizational development.
- Experience in designing and implementing capacity building training for African CSOs. This includes strategic planning, organizational capacity development, financial and operational analysis, financial reporting, etc.
- Conversant with OCA methodology.
- Experience in implementing donor-funded projects (USAID and/or European donors).
- Demonstrated organizational skills, ability to prioritize workload and multi-task in a fast-paced environment with a strong track record of meeting deliverables.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, with a problem-solving attitude and as a self-starter who works both independently and as a collaborative team player.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Ability to travel within and spend extended time in the field, with limited facilities.
How to apply
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page: https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=2166
Deadline: 27 Jan 2024