Belgian Red Cross
What does the Belgian Red Cross offer you?
A full-time, permanent contract (linked to the life of the project) within a committed and dynamic team – with a full salary package and extra-legal benefits (meal vouchers, 100% coverage of public transport costs, etc.) – the position is available from 20/02/2023 and is based in Brussels (1000).
Join the world’s largest humanitarian organisation!
The Humanitarian Hub is a consortium of NGOs currently led by Médecins du Monde, Médecins Sans Frontières, the Belgian Red Cross, the Plateforme Citoyenne de Soutien aux Réfugiés and SOS Jeunes. The project was launched in September 2017 to respond to the growing needs of particularly vulnerable migrants. Each organisation pursues complementary objectives in order to meet the needs of the homeless people present in Brussels by offering them access to multidisciplinary services of first necessity, adapted accompaniment and orientation. The Red Cross coordinates the day reception, the meal distribution service and the activities of Restoring Family Links.
The Security and Prevention Coordinator will be responsible for promoting and enforcing the Hub’s internal rules and regulations, demining conflict situations and facilitating access to services, communication and mediation with and between beneficiaries. The Security and Prevention Coordinator will carry out his/her tasks in close collaboration with the support of the Humanitarian Hub team, in particular the cultural mediators and crowd managers. The functional superior of the Security and Prevention Coordinator is the Flow and Security Coordinator.
In this role, you will have the following responsibilities :
The Security and Prevention Coordinator
- Is a member of the HUB Security team and participates in strategic decision-making and the implementation of protocols concerning security and prevention within the HUB
- Supports the Flow and Security Coordinator in the development, implementation and management of flow and security within the HUB
- In practice and on the front line: incident/accident management, conflict management, decision making on exclusions and exceptions when necessary, flow management, evacuation management
- Follows up on incidents: reports, lodging complaints, contacting the police, etc. under the supervision of the Flow and Security Coordinator
- Promotes and develops the preventive aspect through a climate of trust and benevolent communication with the beneficiaries
- Monitores and reports key elements to the Coordinator (analysis of security, risks, context, needs, feedback from beneficiaries etc.)
- Organises and manage briefings on security, project and beneficiary context, mediation approach and preventive measures regarding security
- Participates in the implementation of risk reduction tools
- Works closely with the Protection Unit, cultural mediators and crowd managers
- Participates in team meetings, training and supervision required by the project
- Participates in the organisation of security training for the rest of the team and the security guards
- Is the back-up for the Flow and Security Coordinator
- You have a minimum of an upper secondary education and ideally a Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, psychology, anthropology, or equivalent experience
- You have at least 2 years of relevant experience and ideally experience in the humanitarian sector and in operational contexts abroad
- You have experience working with homeless and/or migrant populations, preferably in Brussels
- You have good negotiation skills and an excellent sense of responsibility
- You are rigorous and observant
- You are comfortable dealing with conflict or stressful situations
- You have strong cultural mediation skills, team spirit, effective communication, calm in all situations
- You can easily take the initiative, including in an emergency context
- You have a good command of French and English. Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- A driving licence is an asset.
- You are able to manage relations with a variety of audiences while guaranteeing the neutrality of the Red Cross
How to apply
Is this job for you? Tell us why and send us your resume and cover letter via the “APPLY” button on our website. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date: 10 Mar 2023